WBYC offers a great work environment for socially skilled hard working people. We have openings in the following areas. NOTE: Applicants must be 16 years old before their start date (except for Sailfish instructors, who must be at least 15 years old on their start date).
- LIFEGUARD – Current Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR & First Aid certifications are required. WBYC Lifeguards are expected to conform to best practices for waterfront safety as determined and taught by Red Cross. Our beach is open starting Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. (Weekends only until late June.)
- SWIMMING LESSON INSTRUCTOR – Current Red Cross Lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor (WSI), CPR & First Aid certifications are required. Youth swim lessons are scheduled for four weeks starting the Monday after the 4th of July. Swim Instructors normally work as Lifeguards when not teaching.
- YARD STAFF – NYS Boater’s Safety License is required. WBYC Yard Staff are responsible for the general upkeep of the club, helping members launching and receiving boats as requested, pumping gas, helping with race committee duties, mowing, trimming and other yard work as determined by the club manager. Yard Staff are needed from May through October with the bulk of the hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- SAILING INSTRUCTOR – US Sailing Instructor Level I is required including Red Cross First Aid and CPR. NYS Boater’s Safety License and US Sailing Advanced Power Boat Handling are also required. WBYC Sailing Instructors are expected to work from early June through late August. Primary duties include teaching youth and adult sailing lessons, and coaching the Junior Fleet racing team. This may include helping to prepare for and traveling to regattas, boat repair as well as other duties as determined by the Head Sailing Instructor.
- GALLEY STAFF – No certification required. WBYC Galley Staff are responsible for all Galley operations including cooking, cleaning up, ship store sales and other duties as requested by the Club Manager. The Galley is open starting Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. (Weekends only until late June.)
- SAILFISH – No certification required. You must enjoy working with children aged 5-10 in a program that teaches basic safety around the water and gives kids a chance to sail with a competent skipper. For the head Sailfish counselor, duties include planning, teaching, and coordinating activities in areas of crafts, nature, science, team building, and games. Regular Sailfish counselors need to be good with children. We require some counselors who are competent single-handed sailors. Sailfish is held for five mornings a week for four weeks during the summer. Sailfish counselors may also apply for Galley and Yard Staff positions.
Application deadline is the last week of April.
To apply, you will need the following information:
- Contact information and birthdate.
- Your start and end dates (i.e. when you are available to work).
- Expiration dates for any swimming instructor (WSI), sailing instructor (US Sailing Level 1) or lifeguard certifications you hold. These will need to be current before you start.
- Names and phone numbers for 2 references.
Please send any questions or inquiries to email@example.com.