Willow Bank has an active and multifaceted racing program that offers good competition, many learning opportunities and great camaraderie. All members are encouraged to join the fun. Check the club calendar for the latest information on race dates and times.
Sunday Points Races
The Sunday “Points Race” series is used to determine an annual club champion in each fleet. Races are held at 2PM most Sundays. Racers who would like to participate in the Points Race series, but who do not have a boat in one of the fleets, can still participate. Members of the Lightning Fleet are often looking for crew. Crewing is a great way to make new friends and learn about racing from experienced sailors. Members of other fleets, most notably the Finn fleet, have made their boats available to competent sailors who would like to try them. Contact any of the fleet captains or the sailing director if you have an interest joining the points races and need a boat.
Fleet Regattas Hosted at WBYC
Each of the active fleets holds at least one regatta at WBYC every summer. The regattas planned for this year are posted on the Regatta Info page. Fleet regattas are a great way to test your skills against a larger and more competitive group of sailors and to meet others who enjoy sailing.
Junior Interclub Regattas
The junior sailing team hosts two interclub regattas at WBYC each summer. Interclub regattas are really just Fleet Regattas for classes of boats sailed by Juniors. These regattas are relatively informal and lots of fun but are still a great way to sharpen skills and make new friends.
WBYC Perpetual Trophy Races
Perpetual trophies are awarded annually for certain races held on or around Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. The races are:
- Milton J. Rubenstein Memorial, a three-day series of free-for-all races held over Memorial Day weekend. All active members are encouraged to participate.
- The America Cup, a free-for-all held on July 4th. All active members are encouraged to participate.
- The Commodore Freeborn Memorial, a free-for-all held on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Boats must be skippered by their owners and the owners must be active members of WBYC.
- The Eric Trammell Memorial, a free-for-all sailed on the Monday of Labor Day weekend. All active members are encouraged to participate.
- The Lightning Crewettes Race, a Lightning only race sailed over Labor Day weekend. Participating boats must be skippered by a female.
- The Lightning Charter Members Cup, a Lightning only race sailed over Labor Day weekend. Open to all members of the WBYC Lightning Fleet.
- The Preston Cup, a free-for-all held on the first Sunday after Labor Day. The race course runs from the south end of the lake to the north end and back, regardless of the wind direction. All active members are encouraged to participate.